What is it?
Personal Development is a program sponsored by the United States Women of Today which encourages members to continue learning and to challenge themselves. The program is designed to help each individual advance in personal growth, careers, and citizenship. A certificate is awarded to members who complete certain requirements. Goals include:
- Increase Membership Proficiency in:
- Effective Speaking
- Effective Writing
- Leadership Skills
- Team Building Skills
- Effective Listening
- Careers and Economics
- American Involvement
- Women's Issues
- Family Activities
- Participating in Local or Chapter Socials/Events
- Attending Area Courses/Classes/Seminars
Chapters can create programs, bring in speakers, give short presentations, etc. before, during, or after a meeting or other chapter function on these or other related topics. Presentations and activities can be open to the public and originate anywhere; such as in church, school, or through other organizations.
Examples of Public Forums We Sponsored:
- Lecture about "Chelmsford Open Spaces: Behind the Scenes"
- Workshop on "FaceBook for Beginners"
- Series of Workshops on "How to Sell on EBay"
- Workshop on "You Can Fix It Too!!" - Doing your own Home Improvements
- Seminar on "Searching for that Perfect Job??"
- Seminar on "Fight Back Against Identity Theft"
- Seminar on "Financial Planning for Women"
- Lecture on "Importance of Personal Branding in Today's Market Place"
Careers and Economics - Cable TV Ad for Facebook Lecture - 2009
American Involvement - Cable TV Ad for Chelmsford Open Spaces Lecture -2010
Interested members can participate in Effective Speaking and Effective Writing competitions. These competitions are sponsored at the National level by the United States Women of Today.
Marcia Wins 2005 National Effective Speaking Competition